Thursday, February 01, 2007

Fraction Cookie Lab

We survived the fraction food lab this week. We discovered several things:

* not all 12 year-olds read directions (I already knew this!)
* 3/8 cup butter is not marked on any stick (I knew this one, too!)

Students ate what they made, but with 30 batches of cookies very few turned out the same...very interesting. Many groups skipped reading all directions entirely and poured the oatmeal in with the other ingredients before bringing it to a boil...Lesson Learned! We also learned that we CAN apply those estimation skills in real-life...they were amazed!!! I was thrilled...mission accomplished.

Again, a big thank you to the Riverside Parent Organization for providing the funding.

Read on below for some student comments/observations regarding our math lab:

allie b. I loved making the cookies it was so fun. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for putting all your effort for buying the supplies and helping us if we REALLY need it like my group needed help on making sure we had the right amount of butter. Well, thanks again so much!!! I hope to do another one this year!

Kalie H. - I've learned that fractions are easier to figure out on paper than to figure out on a measuring cup or other measuring tools! That was only one of the things I learned from this lab experiance. To get the job done right our group cooperated. We didn't argue over who was going to stir or measure we just took turns. That's why ours turned out great and got first place in class!!

Andria S.- Thanks so much Mrs. Sharp!The cookies were awesome.Thats not the only good thing though!I also learned a lot about fractions.They are much easier to understand now.Personally I really thought that the lesson was a great expirience and good way to help us with fractions.My group was really good together, because we did not argue over anything....except the butter, and when Samantha dropped the oven top and broke it.Thanks again!We got 2nd in the class!!!!!

Courtney C. Thank you so much. I love how they turned out. I will try this at home. I'm glad I picked a group I could work with and get it done with. This lesson taught me alot about following directions and making sure that I put the right amount in and how to not try to get it done quick perfection takes time. Thanks so much I think ours were the best (just saying).

Holly O. Thank you so much. I think that the turn out was awesome. We didn't follow instructions, but you no you have to do something so you no never to do it again. This lesson taught me alot of how to read the instructions and put in the right amount of things. My group had fun with the cookie lab we were also at times pretty serious. Thanks again...they turned out great.

Casey M. Thanks for letting us be able to make these wonderful cookies! I had soooo much fun making these. This was my second time making these in school, but not like this. I hope we can do something like this again in the future. Thanks again.....They were awsome!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a nice site.

Anonymous said...

Hey awesome site girl...HAHA

Anonymous said...

thanks for the lab mrs.sharp!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see your continuing the lab!

I herd you where thinking about quitting teaching, please don't! You where my favorite teacher in 6th grade! I bet a lot of other kids think the same way! Even now that I'm in 7th grade, you still are my favorite!

aj@gzwn.net